Relocating to Israel

Relocating to Israel
Updated 2017-09-18 09:25

If you are moving to Israel for the first time, there are several benefits under the Law of Return to help make moving your belongings easier, in the form of tax relief. However, be sure to find a reliable moving company and to abide by the rules regarding the importation of pets.

Customs in Israel

Upon entering the country, you are allowed to bring along, free of custom taxes and duties:

  • cash money up to NIS 1,250,000
  • one litre of alcohol/spirits, and 2 litres of wine (for people aged 18 ).
  • up to 250 grams of tobacco products or up to 200 cigarettes (for people aged 18 )

'You may also import a motor vehicle in Israel tax-free within 3 months of your date of entry in the country.

Newcomers moving to Israel permanently under the Law of Return may import an unlimited amount of personal effects (clothing, jewelry, toiletries) and household effects (furniture, rugs, linens, bedding, dishes, other furnishings) free of duty within three years from their immigration date, with the following conditions and restrictions:

  • The goods must be used and must be at least one year old
  • Only one electrical appliance of each type may be imported duty free
  • Only two fans, heaters and air conditioners may be imported duty free
  • Only a refrigerator or a freezer (not both) may be imported duty free

Useful link:

Israeli customs department

Moving your belongings to Israel

Having your possessions moved to Israel is a key part of your expatriation project. Shop around and ask for quotes from various carriers and removal companies (you can easily find a list on the Internet); to make sure to pick a reliable moving company, it is recommended to select one with FIDI accreditation.

Useful link:

FIDI - International Federation of International Movers

Moving to Israel with your pet

Importing pets to Israel requires advanced planning as specific conditions apply.

Cats, most dogs, household birds, rabbits and rodents are eligible for import to Israel.

Amphibians, reptiles as well as rare or exotic birds are classified as wildlife and require a Veterinary Import License, however such birds as parrots can receive special approval from the Ministry of agriculture to fall within the 'household pets' category.

Animals must be in good health, be older than 4 months and carry proper documentation, that is:

  • a copy of the International Certificate of Rabies Vaccine, issued by a veterinarian. The animal must have been vaccinated against rabies within a year, and no less than one month before arrival in Israel
  • for dogs and cats, a rabies serological test obtained from an authorized laboratory to ensure the effectiveness of the vaccination
  • an identification electronic chip for dogs, cats and certain animals


You must also procure a Veterinary Import License from the Ministry of Agriculture if you are travelling with more than two pets.


Dog breeds considered to be 'dangerous' (Pit Bull Terrier, Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Fila Brazileiro, Tosa Inu, Rottweiler and Argentinian Dogo) are prohibited in Israel.

Useful link:

Israel's Ministry of Agriculture

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.