Visas for Israel

Visas for Israel
Updated 2017-07-06 08:27

There are a variety of visas available to foreigners who are planning to visit or move to Israel, be it students, employees or tourists. Additionally, the Law of Return makes it more straightforward for members of the Jewish community to move to Israel.

Immigration visa (A/1 - Temporary Resident visa)

According to the 1950 Law of Return, every Jew has the right to immigrate to the State of Israel (which is called making aliyah).

The Jewish Agency is the regulatory body in charge of handling and helping aliyah immigrants. Its responsibility includes checking applicants files and providing them with advice and guidance.

If you are eligible for immigration under the Law of Return, the Jewish Agency's representatives will walk you through the process of applying for an immigration visa for Israel and may sponsor or back your application after examination of your situation.

Contact the nearest office of the Jewish Agency for more information and advice.

Student visa (A/2)

Foreign students enrolled in an Israeli educational institution can claim a specific visa to enter the country. Those interested in studying in Israel should enquire about the A/2 visa.

Work visa (B/1)

Foreign nationals who would like to work in Israel must first apply for an work visa. This visa is granted by the Ministry of the Interior to foreigners sponsored by an Israeli employer.

To apply for an Israeli work permit, provide to one of the population administration offices of the Israeli Ministry of the Interior the following documents:

  • A duly filled application form
  • An official certificate of good conduct
  • An official certificate of good health obtained from a health institution recognised by Israeli authorities
  • A declaration stating that your fingerprints were taken
  • Two passport-sized photos
  • A document from your employer

The Ministry of the Interior will interview you before issuing a work visa for you. Work visas are issued for up to one year and renewable.

Since you need to apply for the visa in person in Israel, you should first enter the country under a B/2 tourist visa.


Dependents of work visa holders can stay, but not work in Israel.

Tourist Visa (B/2)

Israel maintains visa exemption agreements with many countries worldwide for stays of a duration up to 90 days. You can check out here whether you need a visa to travel to Israel.

If you need to, you can apply for a tourist visa at the Israel embassy in your home country with the following documents:

  • A duly filled application form
  • Itinerary documents (plane tickets, proof of accommodation)
  • A passport valid for at least six months after the period of your stay in Israel
  • Two passport pictures
  • Proof of international health insurance
  • Proof of employment

Here again you need to apply in person and you should note that there are fees for applying.


This visa does not allow you to work in Israel.

Useful link:

Jewish Agency

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.