Getting a driver's license in Italy

driving learner
Updated 2020-06-02 11:29

If you wish to drive in Italy but you don't have a driver's license yet, the procedures are explained in this article.

According to EU regulations, in order to obtain a driving license you must:

  • Sign up with an approved driving school and complete at least six hours of practical training
  • Pass a theory exam and a practical test organised by an agency of the Ministero dei Trasporti ' Motorizzazione civil (Ministry of Transport)

Good to know:

  • The legal minimum age to drive a car (category B) or motorbike over 125 cc (category A2) is 18 years
  • The legal minimum age to drive a motorbike of 50cc to 125 cc (category A1) is 16 years
  • The legal minimum age to drive a moped up to 50 cc is 14 years (category AM)

Obtaining a license for a moped

Mopeds and scooters are a popular alternative to driving in Italy. To drive a moped or motorcycle (50cc and under) you must be at least 14 years old. You will need to undertake a training course at a local driving school and pass an exam, after which you must carry your license at all times.

Good to know:

Although you can drive a moped in Italy at age 14, elsewhere in the EU you might have to be at least 16 years of age.

Obtaining a license for a car

Learners Permit

You must apply for your Learners Permit at the nearest Provincial Office of Motor Vehicles Ufficio Motorizzazione Civile. The foglio rosa is valid for a period of five months and can be applied for by learners on the day after they reach the minimum age for the licence category.

  • For details of Motorizzazione Civile Offices in the local area:

Generally, you will need to bring along:

  • Completed form MC 2112 MEC (available from Motorizzazione Civile offices)
  • Medical Health Certificate stating the applicant is of sound health and mind (provided by an authorised doctor)
  • Valid photo identification
  • At least one photocopy of an existing licence (if applicable)
  • Proof of residency (Permesso/Carta di Soggiorno) and photocopy
  • Three passport photographs that match the photograph on the medical certificate, not more than 6 months old
  • Application fee

The theory exam

The theory exam consists of 40 true or false questions which test your knowledge of the Highway Code. Note that you must take the theoretical test in Italian, unless you live in Valle d'Aosta (where you can take the test in French) or South Tyrol (where you can take the test in German).

Good to know:

The foglio rosa allows you to take three driving tests in total as a learner and two of any one type. For example, if a driver passes the theory test the first time, they have two chances to complete the practical exam; if they fail the theoretical test twice, the foglio rosa is no longer valid and another must be obtained.

Generally, the Motorizzazione Civile offices will request:

  • Completed form TT 2112: Click here
  • Tax code (Codice Fiscale)
  • Valid photo identification
  • Proof of residency (Permesso/Carta di Soggiorno) and photocopy
  • Two passport photographs that match the photograph on the medical certificate, not more than 6 months old
  • Photocopies of any other driving licences that the applicant possesses
  • Application fee

The practical exam

At the practical exam, the following documents are required:

  • Photo identification
  • Proof of vehicle insurance (and photocopy)
  • For foreigners, a Permesso/Carta di Soggiorno (and a photocopy)

You must take the practical driving test in a manual car ' if you wish to take the test in an automatic vehicle, you are legally only allowed to drive automatic vehicles with your license. If you pass the test, your license will be issued.

Useful links:

Motorizzazioni Civili - Rome
Ministry of Transports and Road Infrastructure
Italian Automobile Club

We do our best to provide accurate and up to date information. However, if you have noticed any inaccuracies in this article, please let us know in the comments section below.